STEWARDING: ONE OF THE BEST WAYS TO DEVELOP AN EYE FOR A GREAT SHOW HORSE


Here's a question. How many people can hold up their hand and say they have given stewarding a go? We all traipse off to shows quite happily to compete but I wonder how many realise what a valuable insight into showing stewarding can give you. Think about it. You are given the opportunity to stand in the middle of the ring and see classes from a judge's viewpoint. Depending on who you end up with, the judge will often share his/her thoughts on the animals being presented and why they placed the way they did. It's a fantastic learning opportunity.

I used to do a lot of stewarding for British Show Pony Society and Ponies UK classes and I loved it to bits. In fact, I was one of the only people who would agree to steward at the dreaded winter shows as I enjoyed doing it so much. Yes, my fingers would be chilled to the bone and I would look like a drowned rat from all the rain by the end of it (the person who decided a British winter and outdoor showing go hand in hand is clearly some sort of sadist!) but I learned the ins and outs of show pony conformation, I knew how a novice mountain and moorland pony was expected to behave, I learned all about the perfect show hunter pony type and I discovered that watching a freshly clipped show pony at it's first outing of the season in January can be quite amusing (I joke.....)

I went on to represent my county at the BSPS Summer Championships as a teenager where every year teams from across the country congregate to take part in a Young Judge's Competition. We were all expected to judge a class (go round, individual show, conformation section), take notes and then explain our placings to a panel of senior judges. I used to love competing as a young judge- I wonder if it is something that would encourage more young people to take their judge's exams in NZ?

I was put off by one of my more recent stewarding appointments in New Zealand (some shows need to remember that stewards, while doing it for the love of it, are unpaid and should be treated with a degree of politeness and respect....) but have decided not to let it bother me and will soldier on!

I have actually written a piece about stewarding for the latest issue of Show Circuit so grab a copy if you can. Admittedly, the article was intended to be slightly tongue in cheek but all of the points are relevant and should be adhered to if you're considering becoming one of our 'unsung heroes of the show ring.'

If you are interested in stewarding and even progressing on to becoming a fully fledged judge, contact the RAS as I'm sure they would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment