HOW MANY SADDLE/SHOW HUNTERS ACTUALLY GO HUNTING?



This might sound like a funny question but when you're watching the saddle hunters (show hunters in the UK) parading around the show ring, immaculately groomed and covered in show sheen, it's kind of hard to imagine them flying over fences and galloping over muddy fields on a hunt meet. How many riders actually take their hunters out hunting?

Part of me thinks it would be ridiculous to have a horse you are presenting to judges as the perfect hunter type, and only compete in the show ring with it....It would be a bit like owning a shiny, brand new Aston Martin and only using it to drive down to the bottom of your drive to pick up the post. Surely, if you have the perfect hunter, he should be out doing what he was bred to do. Hunting, cross country, jumping, plus a million other things a horse like that is built to do.

But then another part of me does understand that these animals are show horses and, even though we often won't admit it, a scar or a lump, will have an impact on the judge's decision if they are faced with two horses of equal type, quality and performance.....

If you're a show rider and you actually take your saddle/show hunter out hunting over winter, let us know! If you keep your hunter wrapped up in cotton wool, tell us about that as well. I would love to hear both sides of the story on this one.

UPDATE: Comment from succesful NZ saddle hunter competitor, Anne Hjorth, owner of 'Savile Row':-

'I would hunt my saddle hunter, however, a couple of things stop me from doing this:

1. the cost to join the hunt club - i have no funds left after a show season for this lump sum of nearly $400. (Waikato Hunt)
2. I work full time and would not be able to keep him fit enough for it once daylight savings ends.
3. last few times I hunted (rode huntsman spare horses) couple years ago, it put me off as there are some riders and horses totally uneducated that are down right dangerous and I would hate to put my good show horse in a situation which might cause injury to himself.

Otherwise, love the sport and if there were smaller fields or if I didn't work I certainly would be hunting each winter.'

No comments:

Post a Comment