WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY OF GOING FOR SHOW HORSES AND PONIES?


I have been musing on this question for a couple of days- sparked by a post over at one of my favourite forums, The Show Ring (UK). Obviously, each type has it's own slightly different way of going. For example, a hunter should move along at a more workmanlike pace and will lack the 'daisy-cutting' action of the hacks and show ponies. But, apart from those variations, what is that fundamental show ring way of going?

The reason I ask is because, both in the UK and NZ, I have seen some shocking sights. Show horses and ponies being warmed up outside the ring in both double bridles AND draw-reins. Then animals in the ring who are seriously overbent and flicking their toes out in front, but without any impulsion coming from behind (this is usually most obvious at the so-called 'extended trot' you often see in the ring!). The photo at the top of this post is a clear example- if he was any more overbent his nose would be touching his chest.

One of the most inhumane things I have ever seen was at a professional show yard in Gloucestershire, in South West England. We had gone to view a 13hh show hunter pony, but on the way to view this gelding, I stopped to look over a few of the stable doors. Behind each door was a tiny show pony, very tightly trussed up with a roller and side-reins. I asked the producer about it and she just smiled and said: 'Oh yes, we leave them like that for a few hours every day. It builds up the neck muscles and encourages them to hold their heads properly so that their little riders don't have to worry about getting them in the right position.'

Good grief. This was a yard that did exceptionally well at the highest levels of showing. I left the place feeling rather depressed. I could never condone this type of treatment....

So, my question is- are people producing their horses like this because this is the way of going that judges are rewarding? Or do they simply not realise what they are doing wrong?

In my opinion, the ideal show horse or pony should be forward going but relaxed, supple and with the poll at the highest point. They should all have an impressive, ground covering walk (especially the hunters!) and at trot they should move forwards properly and unhurriedly, using their backs properly and not trailing their hocks behind. They should not be stuffy, with their head pulled in and constantly fiddled with.

I know this lovely, natural way of going is possible as I have seen many great show riders both here and overseas demonstrate it. I just wish there were more of them!

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, and my personal hate is the use of pelhams in the "first ridden" ring. Would you put your child on a pony that needs a curb chain?

    I suspect that as long as judges give ribbons to "leg movers" and the like, the practises will continue. We need brave judges to speak out and change this! And for some of us to continue to train and ride correctly.

    ReplyDelete